Ruwei completed his general surgical training at Monash Health through the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2016. To consolidate his surgical experience, he worked as the General Surgical Fellow at Ballarat Base Hospital for 12 months in 2017. He has been appointed to be a General Surgeon in Latrobe Regional Hospital in 2018.
Ruwei has broad general surgical experiences in gastrointestinal, breast, thyroid and abdominal wall hernia procedures. He acquired advanced laparoscopic skills in major abdominal wall hernias, gallbladder and colon cancers. He also performs minor surgical procedures for treatment of skin cancers, vasectomy, carpal tunnel syndrome and varicose veins.
Ruwei also has significant basic and clinical research experience. His interest in research led to his completion of a Master’s degree from the Royal Melbourne Hospital, the University of Melbourne and a PhD from Monash Medical Centre, Monash University respectively. His current research interest is in the surgical management of abdominal wall hernias.
• All abdominal wall hernias (open and laparoscopic approaches)
• Biliary surgery: cholecystectomy, common bile duct extraction of stones and stenting
• Gastrointestinal tract surgery:appendicectomy, small and large bowel resection for cancer and benign conditions
• Thyroid surgery: hemi- and total thyroidectomies
• Breast: benign and malignant conditions
– Varicose veins
– Major (AKA, BKA) and minor toe
amputations for trauma or diabetics
– Chemotherapy port insertion
• Minor procedures:
– Limbs: Carpal tunnel release, trigger
finger, Dupuytren’s contracture, ingrown toe nail
– Urology: vasectomy, circumcision
– Skin and superficial tumours: skin cancers (with skin graft), foreign bodies, and lipomas
– Biopsies: lymph node, temporal artery and skin biopsy
– Anal and perianal conditions: abscess, haemorrhoid and fissure
• Endoscopy: gastroscopy and colonoscopy
• Emergency general and trauma surgery (laparotomy, bowel resections, repair of perforated viscus, Hartmann’s, splenectomy etc)