Day of Admission
Before you leave for the hospital
Please ensure you shower before leaving home and do not use talcum powder or moisturiser if you are scheduled for surgery the same day.
Please wear comfortable, casual clothing and avoid hair pins and make-up. Please do not wear any form of nail polish. Please remove all jewellery although wedding rings can be left on.
Upon you arrival, we’ll check your paperwork and prepare you for your surgery or procedure.
Belongings to bring with you
- Face mask
- Completed hospital forms (if not already returned)
- Reports or letters from your doctor
- Health insurance membership card
- Health insurance excess payment (check with your health insurer for details);
- Medicare card
- Pension card, HealthCare card, Safety Net card, DVA card, Medicare card, Workers compensation approval letter (as applicable)
- Your Advanced Care Plan (if applicable)
- Current medications in original packets
- An up-to-date list of your medications from your doctor or pharmacy
- Current X-rays, ultrasounds and pathology tests
- Glasses, contact lenses, hearing aids
- Crutches, if required after your procedure
- Books, magazines and personal devices – free WiFi is available to all patients and visitors
If you are staying overnight
- Comfortable, non-slip shoes or slippers (no heels);
- Day clothes for going home in
- Dressing gown and night wear / pyjamas
- CPAP machine (if you use one)
Please do not bring the following items into hospital
- Large sums of money
- Hot water bottles or electric blankets
- Oil burners, incense or candles
- Pot plants or other items containing soil
Any medications that you have brought with you to hospital will be locked in the medication locker in your room and dispensed as ordered by your doctor.
Any medication related to your treatment will be provided by the hospital. If you need a script refilled for your usual medication (not related to your treatment), this can be supplied by the pharmacy and invoiced to you.
A pharmacist visits the hospital regularly to review medication charts. If you would like any additional information regarding your medications, please notify the nursing staff.